I made the goal to do more clothing projects this year, well without really having a plan. I figured I would get to it eventually, but then Crazy Little Projects was so helpful in starting the Sew Crazy Monthly Challenge. One of the project challenges happened to be a maxi skirt, which was perfect for getting my butt into action on my first clothing project of the year.
I followed along with the Maxi Skirt Pattern she included in the challenge, and for the most part it went together very quickly. I might on been having a moment, but it took me a few minutes to figure out how to fold the fabric. I ended up folding it in half and then folding it again. That way I cut both of my skirt pieces at once along the fold.
My first measurement was way too big, and I ended up cutting it down a couple times. I finally realized I needed to cut more in at the waist and taper my cut out to where I originally measured, instead of cutting straight down to take it in. After that I was very happy with the fit.
I upped the challenge on my self and decided to use the serger to construct my skirt. I love using a serger with knits because of the flexibility and stretch of the stitch, but I fought my machine the entire time with tension. It is an older machine, but new to me, so we have our battles. I see some more serger practice coming in my future.
Despite a few set backs I’m pretty happy with my skirt. I’m really excited to see next month’s challenge, and to keep working on clothing projects.