First of all, let me just say, I love my new Silhouette! It’s the perfect tool for the multi- crafter (someone with too many hobbies,) and now my partner in crime in sewing, scrapbooking, crafts and DIY projects.
This month, I am joining some wonderful ladies to participate in the Silhouette Challenge and to share my first project with you. I know it is an unusual first project, but this is actually something my husband has been asking for me to make for a while. He has been wanting me to add a little sign or some kind of decal to the chicken coop he built for a while now, but until my silhouette I wasn’t really sure how to go about it.
So because I love my husband and our chickens (who laid their first egg this week) I decided to do a little something for their coop. It’s still kind of a work in process, I want to add some kind of lettering, I’m just not sure what I want it to say yet.
I bought all of my shapes from the Silhouette Online Store, and played with the sizes till I got them just right. Because this was my first project I learned a couple new things. How to Ungroup (right click for the option) and how to flip an image (opening the replicate option- the icon looks like a flower in the top right corner- and using the mirror option.)
For this project I used the vinyl kit I bought a few weeks ago (I highly recommend purchasing this if you are interested in doing vinyl projects) and it had all the tools I needed to get the job done.
Of course, because this was my first project, I cut out a lot of paper chickens before I got up the nerve to use the actual vinyl. After I finally did it, I realized how silly it was that I got all worked up about it in the first place. It was super easy!
I used the transfer paper and lined up my little chicken family just how I wanted them and applied. I loved how it turned out. I had a lot of fun doing my first project and adding a personal touch to our little coop.
See how happy they look now… OK, not really, but I just wanted to take a picture of a few of the girls.
Want more Silhouette inspiration? Be sure to check out the wonderful ladies sharing projects for our Challenge.
- Using Silhouette Studio as a Graphics Programme by Get Silvered
- Hymn Art by Unoriginal Mom
- D.I.Y. Wedding Invitations by Create & Babble
- Pow! Superhero Party Decorations by Lil Mrs. Tori
- Family Photo Tile & A Free Cut File by My Favorite Finds
- They said yes! Bridesmaid Proposal Box by Everydaypaper
- Home on the Range: An Accent Pillow by Suburble
- “Keep Calm” Onesie by The Thinking Closet
- August Silhouette Challenge Project by Give Me a Paintbrush
- Fancy Powder Room Sign by Joy & Gladness of Heart
- How to Organize Cards & Photos by Super Sweet Life
- It’s Time to Try a New Craft Medium by Tanya’s Creative Space
- Milk Jug Crayon Bucket by It Happens in a Blink
- The Gold and Beautiful by The House on Hillbrook
- A Stache Bash Part 1 by Home at Eight
- One Shoe Can Change Your Life by An Elegant Touch
- Washi Tape Wall Art by Tried & True
- Washi Tape & Vinyl Sign by Tossed Salad Life
If you have a Silhouette and would like to be part of our Facebook Group fun please email Lauren at the Thinking Closet for more details.