I know this project doesn’t seem very Christmas in July like, but when I ask some friends what was a Handmade Christmas gift they would like to receive, this is one of the answers I got.
I decided to do a makeup brush roll for another reason, too. My friend Cassie, an amazing beauty blogger, and I have been talking makeup lately. I have been trying to soak up some of her knowledge, we all know I need it. One of the first things she mentioned to me was how important it was to have good brushes. So, I threw away those applicators I had been using, and with her recommendation in hand I ventured to make my purchase. (Would you like to know what her makeup brush recommendations were?)
Now, it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that I wanted to make an accessory to go with my new brushes. I realized while doing this tutorial that you all will always know when I get something new, because I ‘m going to find a way to sew for it.
You will need:
- 2- 15 in x 19 in pieces of fabric
- 1- 14 in x 18 in piece of interfacing
- 40 in of Ribbon
- Velcro dots
- Sewing Machine and basic sewing supplies
- After you have your pieces cut, fuse you interfacing to the wrong side of one of the fabric pieces.
- Lay both pieces of fabric right side together and sew an 1/2 in seam around 3 sides, but leaving a small opening for turning on the fourth side (this should be one of your long sides.)
- Turn right side out and press. Topstitch only your bottom edge.
- Fold the bottom edge up by 4 in and pin in place. Also, fold the ribbon in half and insert the folded edge into the small opening you left for turning and pin into place.
- Topstitch along both long sides and the top. This will now create a pocket on the bottom, close up the opening and secure your ribbon in place.
- Before you start sewing the sections for you brushes you will need to sew a line 1 in from each end of your pocket area, this will give you room to put your Velcro dots at each end.
- Sew straight lines down your large pocket area to break it into small slots for your brushes. How you divide the pocket up may vary. I had 8 brushes (powder, face, blush and 5 eye brushes), so for me I needed (3) 2.5 in, (3) 1 in and (2) 3/4 in slots.
- Once you have sewn the places for each brush, sew on your Velcro dots. As you can see the Velcro will fit perfectly in the one inch space you left. Attach the opposite piece of Velcro to the top corners, just inside the topstitching.
Now I have a cute way to store my new makeup brushes. I hope there is a makeup lover in your life that will appreciate this handmade gift.
What is a handmade gift you would like to receive?
More ideas for handmade gifts coming later this week, so be sure to stop by…